Westfield Insurance Company
BUILD YOUR FUTURE, WHILE PROTECTING THEIRS.
Your future is bright. Promising. And full of endless possibilities. Explore those possibilities at Westfield Insurance where our interns work on projects that make a difference. This is your chance to showcase your talents while we guide you in setting achievable career aspirations. From actuarial to event planning, we offer a wide range of opportunities for you to develop and grow in your chosen academic area.
Horticultural/Landscaping Intern Job Summary
Salary: $10.50 an hour
40 hours per week
Corporate Housing Available An intern is focused on developing business acumen. The intern will gain leadership experience in their assigned business unit. Typically, an intern is given a project to complete or is assigned day-to-day activities to assist the business unit. An intern actively participates in the summer internship program.
(primary functions and/or reasons the job exists in order of importance)
1. Completes assigned grounds maintenance and care by operating a variety of equipment and tools including, but not limited to golf carts, mowers, utility vehicles, tractors, string-line trimmers, blowers and sweepers.
2.. As directed, prepares soil by cultivating, fertilizing and soil conditioning.
3. Performs hand watering, as directed.
4. Plants and/or transplants perennials, annuals, trees and shrubs. Operates power and hand pruners for formal and selective pruning and trimming.
5. Assists with annual flower care consisting of planting, weeding, pruning, dead heading, watering, and cultivation.
6. Mulches and weeds shrubs/beds.
7. May be required to participate in snow removal operations. Operates necessary equipment for snow and ice removal. Available to be on call 24/7 during winter months.
8. Achieves the high standards of quality, production, cooperation, and service set by Westfield Group for our employees, guests and customers.
Complies with all OSHA and Westfield safety/training/certification standards within required timeframes.
9. Assists business unit with work assigned to them. This often includes, but is not limited to, project work and coverage of day-to-day activities within the business unit.
10. Actively participates in summer internship program events including Lunch & Learns.
11. Conducts research and/or other work for projects assigned.
12. May be responsible for department administrative and support duties.
13. Develops business acumen through interactions and shadowing with other professionals.
14. Attends business unit meetings as assigned.
15. Creates and delivers presentations.
16. Travels occasionally in order to participate in special assignments, training, and/or travel between office locations.
(in order of importance)
1. Actively pursuing or within 1 year of receiving a secondary education degree with a related field of study.
2. Previous work experience.
3. Proven ability to collaborate and work with a team.
4. Demonstrated solid oral, written and interpersonal skills resulting in the ability to interact with all levels within the organization.
5. Demonstrated organization skills.
6. Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently.
7. Valid driver's license and a driving record that conforms to company standards. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Ability to work effectively in an office environment for 40 hours per week (including sitting, standing and working on a computer for extended periods of time).
• Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone, computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc.
• Ability to travel as required.
• Depending on assigned department, physical requirements may vary in severity.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed in this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. These may be subject to change and additional functions may be assigned as needed by management.
Enjoy a casual-dress atmosphere while taking advantage of a challenging and rewarding work environment. Our internship program starts your career and encourages you to set meaningful goals and objectives while you are with us. You will meet with key leaders, job shadow, make presentations and have fun along the way!
To learn more about Westfield and the opportunities available, please visit us at www.westfieldinsurance.com
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.
Westfield Insurance Company
Website : http://www.westfieldinsurance.com/
Westfield is a customer-focused insurance and banking group of businesses. Our winning vision embraces innovation and opportunities in a changing world. Our strength comes through relationships we have built with employees, business partners and customers. The product we offer our customer is peace of mind and our promise of protection is supported by a commitment to service excellence provided by an exceptional team of diverse people.