Smithfield Foods, Inc.
Summary: Assists other Herd Technicians in routine animal care and general farm tasks to ensure the welfare/well-being of the animals. Tasks include farm sanitation, animal removal, and animal movement. Employee may operate mowers, tractors, trucks, bus, and other farm equipment as directed. May be in training for advanced Herd Technician designation. The Herdsperson position will also provide for the care of all animals at the designated work site, particularly their health, growth, and breeding.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Follow the safety requirements of the Injury Prevention System (IPS).
• Learn, understand, and implement all policies and procedures that relate to Bio-security.
• Abide by all company policies, procedures and guidelines as directed by farm leadership.
• Flexibility with a willingness to change plans according to the direction of farm leadership.
• Work as a team player by accomplishing daily department work requirements and farm goals.
• Assist in moving animals and maintaining efficient animal flows.
• Sanitize and wash multiple areas on the farm using high pressure equipment.
• Feed, water, vaccinate, and perform general animal husbandry tasks including basic veterinary procedures.
• Process piglets, which includes: Injecting medications, castrating, docking tails, and ear notching.
• Maintain accurate production information and update all department records as required.
• Treat sick animals with a variety of pharmaceuticals by injection, oral application, and/or other methods as required.
• Follow the Standard Operation Procedures, Production Manuals, or Appropriate Training Guides as required.
• Assist with facility and equipment maintenance.
• Assist with maintaining barn, office cleanliness, and laundry duties.
• Follow the Company’s animal welfare policies and procedures including: providing a physical environment that meets the animal’s needs, providing access to adequate water and high quality feed, providing humane treatment of the animals, providing identification and appropriate treatment of animals in need of health care and following the guidelines for euthanasia.
• Responsible for being in compliance with all environmental laws and procedures.
• Report all environmental issues immediately to their supervisor.
• Read and understand the company’s emergency notification process and how it applies to their specific worksite.
• High School diploma or GED preferred.
• Previous livestock handing helpful.
• Ability to do hard physical labor.
• Strong Commitment to team work.
• Willingness to shower daily in and out of facility.
• Ability to follow instructions and deal with standardized situations.
• Must be able to work an average 48 hour work week, which can vary frequently.
• Weekend, evening, and holiday work required as needed.
• Must be on call for emergency situations to include but not limit to, power outages or personnel shortages.
Smithfield Foods, Inc.
Website : http://www.smithfieldfoods.com
From our small town beginning in Smithfield, Virginia, Smithfield Foods has grown into a global food company with a presence in 12 countries. Regardless of the size and scope of our business, we always conduct ourselves with respect for our animals, communities, customers, employees and the environment. Our philosophy has served us well and we are committed to providing Good food. Responsibly.® so you can confidently share great meals and memories with family and friends.