Donald Danforth Plant Science Center
The Danforth Center Plant Growth Facility has an immediate opportunity for a full-time Greenhouse Technician II position. The DDPSC Plant Growth Facility is a dynamic, state of the art research facility with over 50,000 sq. ft. of research greenhouses and 80+ controlled-environment plant growth chambers and rooms. Plant Growth Facility staff are responsible for providing superior care for diverse and valuable research plant material in support of Danforth Center laboratories, commercial and academic clients.
Responsibilities & Skills:
* Support Danforth Center and client research by leading horticultural activities and growth operations for assigned research greenhouses.
* Design and conduct growth trials and other projects to improve plant care protocols and facility operations.
* Engage and consult with researchers and other PGF users in effort to improve plant quality, growth/care protocols and experimental outcomes.
* Manager plant care responsibilities, special projects, growth trials and related activities independently. Must also be skilled at leading and participating in team-based projects.
* Safely and effectively apply integrated pest management (IPM) methods; conduct pest/disease scouting, identification and control using biocontrol agents, pesticides and cultural techniques.
* Additional responsibilities may include: irrigation and nutrient management, growth space operations and organization, growth trial design and implementation, protocol development, data collection and recordkeeping, routine crop maintenance, greenhouse sanitation and upkeep, maintenance of greenhouse equipment and infrastructure.
* Display an adaptable, attentive and thorough work ethic; a positive, service-oriented attitude; strong organizational and facilitation skills.
* Collaborate effectively with Plant Growth Facility, building maintenance, and scientific personnel.
* Ensure a safe and compliant work environment. Follow and promote pesticide safety regulations, general safety procedures, and PGF operational policies.
* Demonstrated leadership skills with ability to train and advise new employees and Assistant level personnel.
* Some holiday work is required of all full-time plant care staff (overtime/holiday pay provided).
* Associate’s Degree or higher in Horticulture or related field
* 3-5 years of relevant horticulture experience
* Non-commercial Missouri pesticide-applicator license or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire
* Ability to lift 40+ pounds and work in temperatures up to 95 degrees F
* Strong written and verbal communication skills; Excellent client/customer-service skills
* Self-motivated; able to prioritize tasks and projects in an efficient, productive manner
* Competent using MS Excel and Word to generate reports, protocols, compile data, etc.
* Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Horticulture or related field
* Experience in growth, pollination and maintenance of corn, sorghum and/or other agronomic crops
* Field and/or Greenhouse research experience
The Danforth Center offers a competitive salary and benefits package including medical and dental; paid holidays and vacation; 403(b) retirement plan with employer match; and other benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience. More information about the Plant Growth Facility can be found at: http://pgf.danforthcenter.org.
To apply, submit resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with Greenhouse Tech II in the subject line.
The Donald Danforth Plant Science Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from underrepresented groups, including minorities, women, protected veteran status and people with disabilities
Donald Danforth Plant Science Center
Website : http://www.danforthcenter.org/