NDSU Extension Agent, Agriculture and Natural Resources/Bowman County
Commensurate with education and experience. Bachelor's level minimum salary is $41,200 and Master's level minimum salary is $44,200.
Benefited - includes retirement plan and full coverage for family health insurance
Search by Group:
Agriculture and University Extension
Extension Service, NDSU
Position Summary Information
The Extension Agent will work collaboratively with a team of Extension and research professionals and volunteers to provide innovative leadership for the Bowman County Extension agriculture and natural resources program. The primary duty is to teach educational programs in horticulture, agronomy/cropping systems, livestock, farm business management/crop marketing, community economic development and leadership and 4-H youth development to adult and youth audiences. Supervision is provided by the Extension District Director serving Bowman County.
This is a full-time position planning and delivering educational programs in Bowman County and when appropriate, programming cooperatively in neighboring counties. This position is based in the Bowman County office of the
Extension Service, which is located in Bowman, ND.
This position includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Teach, deliver, and evaluate programs in horticulture, agronomy/cropping systems, livestock, farm business management/crop marketing, and 4-H youth development for adult and youth audiences. Successful Extension programs will require you to:
-Conduct needs assessment and issues identification that result in programs based on the needs of county citizens.
-Interpret and integrate pertinent research information into educational programs.
-Develop expertise in a subject matter competency area, and to plan, implement and deliver educational programs on a county and/or communities-of-interest basis.
-Evaluate and market the impact of the educational programs delivered.
-Cultivate a strong relationship with and use multiple media outlets and resources.
- Assist with 4-H youth development-based educational programs with a measurable impact on enhancing life skills of youth, adults, and volunteers.
- Provide community and economic development education relating to the agriculture and natural resources program.
- Participate in professional development experiences offered by the
Extension Service and other entities as appropriate.
Collaborate and Facilitate
- Cooperate and collaborate with local, county and state agencies, organizations and businesses to enhance agricultural leadership and programming opportunities, and utilize stakeholder input to formulate program plans to address issues that affect people throughout their life span.
- Collaborate with
professionals to develop interdisciplinary programs, some of which will be delivered on a community of interest or program team basis.
- Develop and implement volunteer recruitment and provide training and management systems.
- Assure compliance with equal opportunity policies.
- Perform other duties assigned in support of Extension programming.
- Some travel required.
Behavioral expectations include:
-Work ethically, with integrity, and respect confidentiality.
-Contribute to an environment of cooperative, supportive and positive working relationships with co-workers and clientele. Promote a healthy work environment and support everyone’s efforts to succeed.
-Resolve differences constructively. Use tact and courtesy at all times.
-Use effective time management. Be prompt in attendance for work and meetings and be fully engaged.
-Exhibit positive attitude, image and personal motivation. Be a professional at all times.
1. Bachelor’s degree in an agriculture related field (i.e. agronomy, crop and weed science, soils, animal science, agricultural economics and/or agricultural education) or horticulture with the academic capacity to successfully enroll in a relevant graduate program in the future.
2. The ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, partners, and stakeholders.
3. Basic computer skills and ability to use Microsoft office programs such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
4. Ability to use technology for communication, information finding, program delivery, and reporting.
5. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with individuals, groups and through mass media.
6. Ability to conduct oneself professionally, be self-directed in the work environment, work flexible and extended hours, extended travel required and manage time and resources (including grant writing) to efficiently accomplish the duties of the position.
7. Familiarity with various ethnic and socioeconomic audiences, an interest and ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds, and a commitment to the principles of diversity.
8. Valid driver’s license.
1. Master’s degree in an agricultural/horticultural related field.
2. Recent Extension work experience.
3. Working knowledge of and experience with 4-H and/or other youth programs.
4. Demonstrated experience and/or knowledge of agriculture in western North Dakota, including expertise in livestock production and/or local cropping practices.
5. Experience in designing and delivering educational programs to others.
Open Until Filled:
Internal/External Simultaneously: Open to all applicants
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Complete contact information for three persons familiar with your professional training and/or work experience is required. Please upload this as “Other Documents 1.”
Screening for this position will begin September 10, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
No Smoking Notice:
As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or veteran status.
Veteran’s Preference Notice:
This position is subject to North Dakota Veteran’s Preference requirements.